How to Create and Connect to Ad-hoc Network in Windows 8/8.1
Windows 8.1 OS is turning out to be a big problem for WLAN Gamers and those who throw LAN Party. As you might be aware that many features are removed from Windows 8.1 and the most useful and needful – Ad hoc Network. I myself was unable to play games like Counter Strike and Need for Speed: Most Wanted with my friends because Windows 8.1 was unable to detect Adhoc Network.
Yes, you cannot create or connect to Ad-hoc Network while using Windows 8.1. I encountered this problem the very first day I upgrade. My friends and I decided to play Counter Strike: Condition Zero. To my bad, I was unable to even connect to Ad-hoc Network. To the worst, I found that option for creating Ad-hoc network was missing from Network and Sharing Windows. I thought there might be problem while up gradation or I must have missed any update. I Googled for the problem and realized that Windows 8.1 does not have this feature.
Anyways, this wasn’t a problem for me anymore when I found the quick fix for same. I found the solution from one of the forum.
Let’s see How to Create and Connect to Ad hoc Network in Windows 8.1
I have split up this article into two section
- How to Create Ad-Hoc Network Connection in Windows 8.1
- How to Connect to Ad-Hoc Network Connection in Windows 8.1
First thing first, How to Create Ad-Hoc Network Connection in Windows 8.1
- Download this application sized 40KB, won’t hurt much 😛 [Adhoc Network Creator Windows 8/8.1] [Alternative link][(ZIP Pass – geekltd.com)
- Run this application and Enter ‘2’ – Create Your Own WIFI Hotspot
- Now Enter ‘1’ – Create a Hotspot
- Enter SSID or Hotspot name – ‘GeekLTD’ for example
- Enter Password or Key – ‘1234567890’ You can enter anything you wish.
- The Hotspot has been created on your Windows 8.1 machine
- To Disconnect – Instead of Creating Hotspot, enter ‘2’ so as to disconnect Hotspot
Enjoy playing Most Wanted, Counter Strike, Warcraft or any other multiplayer game on Wi-Fi
How to Connect to Ad-Hoc Network Connection in Windows 8.1
- Download this application sized 40KB, won’t hurt much 😛 [Adhoc Network Creator Windows 8/8.1] [Alternative link] (ZIP Pass – geekltd.com)
- Before you are able to connect to the Ad-hoc Network, you first have to know its SSID/name and Key/Password
- Now navigate to Network and Sharing Center, right-click the Wi-Fi icon in right hand corner.
- Click ‘Set up a new connection or network’
- Now select ‘Manually connect to a wireless network’
- Enter the ‘Network Name’, select ’Authentication Type’ and type down ‘Security Key’ or ‘Password’ is required. Click Next and let the network save.
- Open the program downloaded in first step
- Enter ‘1’ – Connect to a WIFI Network
- Again enter ‘1’ – Connect
- Here you are required to just type down the SSID or Network Name. (Case Sensitive)
- Now you’re done. You have successfully connected to Ad-hoc Network on Windows 8.1
- To Disconnect, enter ‘2’ and you’ll be disconnected from the Ad-hoc Network
Have fun with your friends sharing files and playing games like Counter Strike, Most Wanted, Warcraft! If you face any problem, do comment below. I’ll try to solve your problems 🙂